People Raising is a ministry that not only teaches you how to raise funds, but also how to keep donors on your team. It is extremely important that you understand what you can and cannot control.
For Every 100 People That Stop Supporting You:
- 4 Move Away or Die
- 15 Transfer Their Giving To Another Organization
- 15 Are Unhappy With Your Organization
- 66 Think You Don’t Care About Them
First, you can’t stop donors from moving or dying.
At times, I have had donors make a move geographically and I have heard them say, “I want to give locally” and that means their new location. If you have a strong relationship, over time this more than likely can be changed by your staying in contact with them.
Second, you can’t stop donors from transferring their giving to another organization.
Donor’s giving interest and passion can change. All of sudden another opportunity surfaces and they are off and running. As much as you think you can control their giving interest and passion, you simply can’t.
Third, you can’t readily change people who feel they are unhappy with your organization.
How your organization treats your donor can make a difference. There are many factors that form your donor’s unhappy perception. Some of these factors may be:
- How does your organization communicate to your donors?
- Are the fund raising approaches too heavy?
- Are thank-you letters timely?
- How easy is it for a donor to get a record of their giving?
You may have little to no control over these factors, but this begs the following questions:
- What can I control?
- What can I do to keep donors on my team?
- What can I do so my donors know that I care about them?
You can keep people on your team by being proactive. Look for ways to minister, keep your donors aware of what their money is doing.
TWO more reminders:
- Don’t forget to get your copy of the new and expanded version of People Raising just released April 1 st.
- Next 2 day People Raising conference July 19-20 Grand Rapids, MI